Sunday, April 4, 2010

Shepherd Quilt


I have made all sorts of quilts over the past 9 years and this one is a favorite of mine.  I made two of them, one to keep and one to give away to my brother Perry and his wife, Terri.  It is called "Shepherd's Fold."  I love that the Shepherd is always willing to leave the ninety and nine to rescue the lost sheep.  The lost sheep on the quilt (the one at the bottom, right) represents the wayward one.  Note how the fabric on the outstretched arm of the shepherd is the same as the fabric that surrounds the "lost" sheep.  This is symbolic of the Lord as he reaches out with love...the same love that surrounds all those who are lost.  "His hand is stretched out still..."  (Isaiah 9:12).  Also, there are seven sheep in this quilt.  In Hebrew, the number seven means "whole, and complete."  Even the straying sheep is needed  for the herd to be complete, that is why the Shepherd will not stop until he finds and rescues the sheep.  Thank heavens He has rescued me more than once!